Friday, May 23, 2008

Day 113: MVC...E?

Everyone knows about Model-View-Controller, but given that I've built my editor into my game, I feel like I've added a fourth leg: Editor. Now, my editor's pretty smart about inferring what it needs to display from the model, but there are things it can't handle, and that stuff I need to update.

Eventually, I may be able to change that. The Kuiper module format (and save game format) is XML, and I'd like to be able to export an XSD - but to do that, the models are going to have to have more information about the types they understand. With that information, I can make my editor smarter, and return to the MVC trifecta.

#146 is done, and was easy given that I got all the unit tests yesterday. I had to mirror the refactoring I'd done to its model in the editor, and that was about it.

#147 is also done: From a model standpoint, random fetch quests look exactly like random fedex quests. I was halfway through writing the editor when I realized this and scrapped it, using the fedex one for both. I thought I had a bug where I was getting more than one cargo for one mission, but it's possible I simply accidentally picked up more than one mission. I've been unable to replicate it, regardless.

Finally, because doing so makes me within 1 bug of finishing milestone:Missions, I did #142. The halo system was working fine, but ever since I did the de-spawning action (which takes a spawning action to undo), I wanted to backport it to halos.

I have a tradition where, if I finish a milestone, I can stop work early for that day. But I kinda want to catch up on lost time (my spreadsheet informs me that I'm still 8.5 hours behind schedule) so I may actually keep going.

We'll see....

No comments: