Friday, June 13, 2008

Day 153: Contest

I'm taking today, tomorrow, and Sunday off to participate in the RubyWeekend game creation contest. This is the first extended break I've taken from the game since I moved into my new house, and I need it!

I did get some stuff done yesterday, mostly tweaks. Specifically, fixing the combat tutorial and making tutorial items cost money.

This puts me two tickets away from finishing the milestone and therefore the tutorial. I'll probably do a few things at that point:

  1. Create a github project for the game and upload it there.

  2. Branch the current version off and name it kuiper_rubygame_3.0.0. This will be a reference branch, in case I need to port everything back to Rubygame 3. Why make this branch? Because of the next step:

  3. Backport the game to Rubygame 2.3. I've had people interested in at least downloading and playing with the game, and as I'm using the bleeding edge my-version-may-break-daily version of Rubygame, it discourages people from doing so. I'll have the Rubygame 3 branch ready when I need to switch over. Finally, I'll:

  4. Release a 'preview'. This will consist of the tutorial and be announced here and maybe a few other places (forums only, no formal announcements yet). Get feedback, etc.


And after that, I start work on the main campaign!

No comments: