Monday, June 2, 2008

Day 142: Two Hundred Hours

Actually, because I was only a half hour short yesterday, I'm at 201 hours. But still, it's a milestone so I'm naming my blog after it.

Today's work was finishing #166 which means the market dialog is shiny and good and happy. You get details, # of everything it requires that it requires, # of that thing you have free, and the ability to buy/sell more than one of them at a time. I even made it work with weapons, even though that ticket's not up yet.

That's not to say things went extremely well: I had to quash a lot of typos. 15 minutes into some refactoring I decided I didn't like the way it was going, so I ended up reverting all my work up until that point. I kept putting Python syntax in Ruby, thus leading to today's Programming Tip of the Day: To make a new object, use "new".

Still, many things went right. For instance, everything that can be bought and sold has its price stored stored in an instance variable named 'price'. Thank you, me, for making that consistent! Getting weapons to work was literally four lines of code, all of which were copied and pasted from the addons adapter. I got an extra half hour of work in.

Finally, now that the market dialog is handling everything market-related, and the minibuilder and new builder dialog is handling everything build-related, I deleted the old builders. Three entire files (addons.rb, cargo.rb, and weapons.rb) housed nearly identical GUI code that is now handled in one place.

Of course, the downside of this is that, according to my spreadsheet, I wrote -190 lines of code today. I'm still calling it a win.

No comments: