Monday, June 9, 2008

Day 149: Dep^H^H^HBreadth First Search

It'd be nice if I could implement a Breadth-first search without first accidentally creating a Depth-first search like twelve freaking times.

If the last entry was a blast from the past, this one's an archaeological find. I closed #4, which implements the "Plot Course" button. I did this because the multi-jump tutorial mentions it, and I want everything I mention in said tutorial to be working before I move to the next milestone. This is my new way of putting things off; mentioning them in the tutorial and going "Well, gotta implement this!"

Only this time, I wasn't putting anything off. I've finished #157, and #158, which were the last two editor-intensive parts of the tutorial. So I'm perfectly justified in coding up whatever I feel like.

This blog entry is backwards, because before I did either of those things, I did #176, which lets you display a message to the user once and only once (so they're not constantly pestered with tutorial reminders).

Before I did that, I fixed a bug whereby weapons weren't taking up the right amount of space (their expansion and hardpoints cost was only counted once, regardless of the number of weapons you had). Once again, I discovered that unit testing will only help me if I actually write the tests; I asked myself "Didn't I test for this?" when the bug came up, and the answer turned out to be a big fat "NO!"

And before I did that, I proliferated MiniBuilders to weapons and ammo, which wasn't using them before. At this point I tend to take my editor's stability for granted, so it's very disconcerting when I click a button that's still there because I haven't put a minibuilder in and everything dies.

Finally, the global variable has been quiescent, not biting anything. But I'm watching it....

No comments: