Sunday, August 31, 2008

Day 232: Re-re-port

It's been a while since I blogged but unlike last time that happened, I've actually been busy in the meantime. Here's what I've been up to:

  • Ported everything to new-style events. This was fairly easy and straightforward

  • The player can now give their pilot a name. Eventually this will be rolled into savegames, so you can have more than one pilot per module

  • I fixed a Rubygame bug where if your application was minimized and lost focus at the same time, it'd crash.

  • A freaking ton of map work! I have to say that creating maps is a lot easier with an editor. Coming up with ideas for a ton of sectors, however, remains difficult. I made the mistake of giving my initial generic filler sector a description, and so now have to go out of my way to explain how boring the other dozen filler sectors are.


The map descriptions I've written already depict a lot of lore pre-game. There was a time where humanity didn't know hyperspace lanes could go to empty sectors, for instance. After that, the Sandwall spurred the invention of shielding. There was an alien invasion scare at some point. All these are completely divorced from the plot, just things I've come up with as I made the map.

I was asking myself the question: Should I write this down somewhere so I remember it? Then it occurred to me: I just did!

No comments: