Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Day 227: Execute!

My current build does not work with the current Rubygame/dev-2.4 branch due to one of my patches having not yet made its way in. It'll die the moment an AI-controlled ship attempts to figure out how to move. This will hopefully change soon.

This should hopefully not matter; the demo itself is looking even more likely to come out this week. Rubyscript2exe is everything I'd ever hoped for and more! Mainly because it will use whatever libraries I have on my system, including my already-patched version of Rubygame. I unintstalled Rubygame from my system entirely, as a matter of fact, and the executable still ran. I'm waiting until I can get it to run on a pristine Fedora VM, and then I'm releasing the demo to you, the public.

Rake can now make .tgz files out of the entire distribution (actually, it could always do that, but I only just figured out how today). This makes my life even easier, because it means I can use rake to build the executable and then put it in a .tgz file for distribution in one step!

Finally, it turns out that Rubygame 2.4, which I'm now targeting as I can't live without my mousewheel support, has the new event classes that will one day be part of 3.0 and which I just finished moving all my code away from. Luckily, I knew I'd have to switch back and made a giant list a few posts ago about what I changed. And I did, in fact, tag the last commit before changing over in git, so a (very) careful merge may turn out to be the easy answer.

Then again, I seem to remember that it's never easy!

No comments: