Tuesday, April 22, 2008

KuiDevBlog.new

What's a Kuiper?
Kuiper is a single player top-down 2D space RPG game, in the spirit of Escape Velocity and Tradewars. It is created using the Rubygame library and is (unsurprisingly) written in Ruby. Also, It is heavily influenced by my now-defunct TraderMissions.

Why?
Because I want to write a game. I've been coding up games since I was about 8 years old, but the number of completed games I've finished is a very low number indeed. Even TraderMissions, my biggest solo effort until this one, remained incomplete. Finally, I decided that if I was going to get serious about this game development thing, I would have to actually finish a game.

I took a page from NaNoWriMo, an event I've participated (and blogged here!) in a number of times before. The magic way to get something done, it turns out, is a deadline. So I set one for myself: By December 31, 2008, 11:59 pm EST, I'll have released a game or at least submitted it to a number of sites for announcement (I can't control their publishing schedule, after all).

To that end, I'm doing the same thing now I did with NaNoWriMo - working on the game, every single day, one hour a day. Two hours on weekends. It's slow going, but it's progress, and each week I can see noticeable changes in the game. I'm creating this blog for the same reason I made NaNo blogs - public humiliation. It's a staple of NaNoWriMo that you announce your intention to create to as many people as you possibly can, so that fear of later embarrassment keeps you going when nothing else does.

Here goes nothing!

No comments: